Support for Resource Families
The Advisory Board actively supports the WCCB’s resource families, which provide substitute family care, temporarily or permanently, for children in Westmoreland County who have been neglected, abused or emotionally rejected.
FACTS TO KNOW
- Children in WCCB care range from a few days old to 21 years.
- The WCCB retains legal custody of all children that it places in resource homes — until they return to their families or are adopted.
- Resource families make routine decisions that affect the child, but major decisions are made with the involvement of the caseworker or other WCCB agent.
- WCCB covers daily board and medical assistance for a child’s medical and dental expenses.
- WCCB provides 24-hour emergency support and ongoing training for care-givers.
- Every child under WCCB care has a caseworker; each resource family has a mentor resource family in the same geographical area to answer questions and provide guidance and support.
- Resource parents can work full-time outside the home, as long as appropriate arrangements are made for child care.
HOW THE ADVISORY BOARD HELPS
The Advisory Board encourages WCCB resource families through various means:
- We created and printed a brochure that publicizes the need for resource families and provides essential information for potential candidates.
- We fund refreshments for meetings and special occasions of the resource families’ organization.
- We stand ready to help with special needs of children placed with resource families.